This recipe used to be called Turkey Pot Pie but since then, I started eating chicken again. I had a crazy aversion to chicken after a a couple of really bad food poisoning incidents. It look a while but slowly but surely, I started eating chicken again.
This pie is the definition of comfort food and perfect for those cold winter nights.
Chicken Pot Pie with Almond Flour Crust
For the Filling
2 rashers of bacon, thinly sliced
1 onion chopped
1/2 tbs ghee
200 grams turkey thigh fillets, cut into chunks
1 carrot cut into cubes
1 cup button mushrooms sliced thinly
chicken stock (just enough to cover the turkey mixture)
2 tbs arrowroot (or cornflour)
- In a large pan with lid, melt the ghee and sautee the bacon and onion over medium heat.
- Add in the turkey thigh pieces, carrots, and mushrooms until cooked through.
- Add in just enough chicken stock to cover the turkey mixture.
- Make slurry with the arrowroot powder and a little bit of cold water.
- Add the slurry into the stock and turkey mixture.
- Lower heat and cook until the stock thickens.
- Remove from heat and distribute evenly to 2 remekins or small bowls.
For the Crust
1 1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Mix the egg and the water in a separate bowl.
- Combine the dry and the wet ingredients together.
- Spread the dough evenly on the ramekins filled with the turkey mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the crust is golden.
Makes 2 generous servings.